Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Sam Sam is offline

Default Help: Export specific data in a sheet in a new row

Hi All,

I am trying this thing to work but its not working as I want.

Lets say I have a button "Export" on the userform, This userform has a
dropdown menu, which has student names, and selecting a student name from
that dropdown would populate other fields on the form such as, Name, Age,
Task etc..
So if i select Student1 from the dropdown, I will get the data of Student1
displayed on the form, If i select Student2 from the dropdown, I will get
data of Student2 displayed on the form.
Now when I click export, I want it to:
- open a file dialog box that lets me select another empty excel file
- once i select the excel file, i want the details of the select student to
be displayed in Row1
-If i select another student from the dropdown, i want the details of that
student to be displayed in Row2... and so on..
- Once I am done selecting the students, I want to manualy save the excel
file where I exported the student data.

Here is my code for the process:

Private Sub ExportToExcel_Click()

Dim exApp As Object
Dim exl As Object
Dim fdialog As FileDialog
Dim pathAndFile As String
Dim filePath As String
Dim shortName As String
Dim newWks As Workbook
Dim DestCell As Range
Dim FName As String

filePath = "C:\My Documents\Students.xls"

On Error Resume Next
Set exApp = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")

exApp.Visible = True

Set fdialog = exApp.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)

With fdialog
.AllowMultiSelect = False
.Filters.Clear
.InitialFileName = filePath & "\*.xls*"

If .Show Then
pathAndFile = .SelectedItems(1)

shortName = Right(pathAndFile, _
Len(pathAndFile) - InStrRev(pathAndFile, "\"))
Else
MsgBox "User cancelled. Did not select a file"

End If
End With

Set newWks = exApp.Workbooks.Open(pathAndFile)

With newWks
Set DestCell = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
End With

With DestCell
.Value = Me.Student_Id.Value
.Offset(0, 1).Value = Me.FirstName.Value
.Offset(0, 2).Value = Me.LastName.Value
End With

End Sub

Thanks in Advance