Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default Why does no one use the [A1] notation

1. Fully "qualifying" rather than "evaluating" saves a lot of work behind
the scenes, ie faster.

2. With Range(sAddress) no need to hardcode

3. You get all the intellisense after typing Range("a1") dot

In the following Range() vs [A1] loops 2.5 x faster for me -

Sub test()
Dim t As Single, i As Long, d As Double
[A1] = 123

For k = 1 To 3
t = Timer
For i = 1 To 100000
If k = 1 Then
x = [A1].Value
ElseIf k = 2 Then
x = [=A1]
Else
x = Range("A1").Value
End If
Next
Debug.Print Timer - t
Next

End Sub

For quickly trying things out I use [A1], but never in completed code.

Regards,
Peter T

"Michael" wrote in message
Hello, why doesn't anyone use the [A1] notation? It seems easier to
write
[A1].select
than
Range("A1").select

so why do I never see it used, I'm guessing there must be a reason...

Thanks

Michael