Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CAPTGNVR[_2_] CAPTGNVR[_2_] is offline

Default To link sheet1 cell to sheet2 three rows merged cell

D/BSC

Thanks for the guidance.

From access able to get using external data but unable to use the offset
formula.

When I use the ""=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,(ROW()-1)/3,0)"" in the required cell
in sheet2, the first name is fine; then when I drag the formula to next cell
the second name is also correct. but from third cell second name repeats.

So can you pls sugest what to do from here. Would like to know what this
does actually "(ROW()-1)/3,0) and also how to automatically update this
sheet1 if i change the name in access. meaning how to automatically refresh
when i open the excel file. can I put on open and write a vb??

Will be watching for your reply so that I can work on this tonight and
eagerly waiting. Appreciate your guidance and pls guide me further.

brgds/captgnvr

"BSc Chem Eng Rick" wrote:

Hi

This answers your question a). Place the following formula in sheet2.
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,(ROW()-1)/3,0)

Please note that if your names on sheet2 have more than 3 rows merged, then
change the 3 in the above formula to however many rows are merged. Also if
the first name is not in $A$1 then change the $A$1 to wherever the first name
in your list is say $B$2

For question b). Click on Tools -- Data and then "Get External Data".
Select Access Database and then you will be given a number of options for
updating. Select "Enable Background update to make this happen all the time
in the background.

If this helps please click "Yes"
<<<<<<<<<<

"CAPTGNVR" wrote:

Sheet1 has lsit of crew names.

Sheet2 has details about the crew in the following manner.

a1 to a3 is merged as one cell for crew name. b1 will have residence, b2

his office, b3 his business.

The problem I am facing is when I link sheet1 names to sheet2, it is not

in same order in sheet2 becos three rows or merged as one cell.

so pls help me in

a) how to link names between two sheets to copy the names in sheet2 from

sheet1 and

b) I have all the data of names in access and it should be linked to this

sheet1.

Pls note using office 97.