Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mel[_4_] Mel[_4_] is offline

Default How to open another program and file?

You guys are so awesome I can't stand it. <g Thanks, Tim. It worked
perfectly. That was too cool. I will read about Shell on my own now to
find other ways to apply it in my tasks. I love it!

-Melina

On Oct 8, 10:56*pm, "Tim Williams" wrote:
Look at Shell

Dim RetVal
Dim ProgPath as string
Dim FilePath As String

ProgPath = "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe"
FilePath = "C:\Images\MyPic.jpg"
RetVal = Shell(ProgPath & " " & Filename, 1)

Tim

"Mel" wrote in message

Excel 2003

Is there a way to make a macro open a specific file within a specific
program, or to launch a specific program and then open a specific file
in it?

The file:
C:\Images\MyPic.jpg

The program:
C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe

(It doesn't work to just open the jpg file using a simple link because
Excel by design opens jpg's in Internet Explorer, not the associated
program, and I don't want it opening in IE.)

Thanks,
Melina