Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jon Peltier[_2_] Jon Peltier[_2_] is offline

Default Is this a bug in excel 2007 charting

From my view point, Excel is working as advertized.

Maybe, I don't know. But it's different than in 2003. And past
performance is an important piece of advertising.

Brian -

Your problem seems to be those two blank X values. However, I used
different data:

1 2 3
2 3 4
3 4 5

5 5 6
6 6 7

8 7 8
9 8 9
9 10
10 11
12 11 12

and got exactly what I expected in both 2003 and 2007. For some reason
it doesn't like your data. If I select the first two blocks plus the
first line of the third block, I get the expected display, but if I
select the first two lines of the third block, I lose the connecting lines.

Even more intriguing, if I use your whole data set except for the last
line, and I change your blanks and fours in the first column of the
third block so that the blanks are in the 2d and 3d row, it draws as
expected.

If that's a feature, I'd love to sneak a peek at the spec.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

Bernard Liengme wrote:
I followed your instructions except that I used a chart with markers and
lines and got the expected result: the B data series was displayed with
lines while the C was only markers. Then I formatted the C data series and
in Chart Tools | Design | Select Data I opened the Hidden & Empty Cells
dialog where I used Connect Data Points with Lines. Now both data series are
displayed with markers and lines.

Next I did as you said and made a chart with just lines (Unsmoothed). As
expected the C series was invisible but its legend told me it was present.
Then I again used Chart Tools | Design | Select Data and opened the Hidden
& Empty Cells dialog where I used Connect Data Points with Lines. Now both
data series are displayed with markers and lines.

From my view point, Excel is working as advertized.
best wishes