Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mrs. Robinson[_2_] Mrs. Robinson[_2_] is offline

Default Merge multiple workbooks into one.

that didn't work either.

"JP" wrote:

My bad, Luke is right, you can't move all the sheets out of a
workbook.

Here's another suggestion: start x at zero, I believe LBound
(FilesToOpen) should start at zero. Otherwise I'm missing something. I
haven't been actually testing the code.

--JP

On Oct 7, 10:30 am, Mrs. Robinson
wrote:
For Luke's solution, I get the same error message except it readsmethod
'Move'...failed

John's solution gives me a "Move method of Worksheet class failed" message.

JP's solution - there's some sort of error in this line: Set wb =
Workbooks.Open FileName:=FilesToOpen(x)

"john" wrote:
made small change to your code - see if does what you want.

Sub CombineWorkbooks()
Dim FilesToOpen
Dim x As Integer
Dim wb As Workbook

On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

FilesToOpen = Application.GetOpenFilename _
(FileFilter:="Microsoft Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls", _
MultiSelect:=True, Title:="Files to Merge")

If TypeName(FilesToOpen) = "Boolean" Then
MsgBox "No Files were selected"
GoTo ExitHandler
End If

x = 1
While x <= UBound(FilesToOpen)
Set wb = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=FilesToOpen(x))
wb.Sheets(1).Move After:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets _
(ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Count)
x = x + 1

wb.Close False
Wend

ExitHandler:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume ExitHandler
jb

"Mrs. Robinson" wrote:

I am using this macro to merge 50+ workbooks with 1 sheet per wb, into one
workbook. I get this error message: Method 'Move' of object 'Sheets'
failed. Can you help? Thanks...

Sub CombineWorkbooks()
Dim FilesToOpen
Dim x As Integer

On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

FilesToOpen = Application.GetOpenFilename _
(FileFilter:="Microsoft Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls", _
MultiSelect:=True, Title:="Files to Merge")

If TypeName(FilesToOpen) = "Boolean" Then
MsgBox "No Files were selected"
GoTo ExitHandler
End If

x = 1
While x <= UBound(FilesToOpen)
Workbooks.Open FileName:=FilesToOpen(x)
Sheets().Move After:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets _
(ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Count)
x = x + 1
Wend

ExitHandler: