I'm trying to use column labels vs. named cells.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

It should work just fine, with or without ( ) as
=qty*price
where qty & price are named cells
To name the cell just select and type in a name in the name box to the left
of the formula box
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"C" wrote in message
In going through an Excel course I'm asked to use column labels in a

formula.
I've enabled labels in formulas in the options page. I first set the cells

up
with the normal cell designations for the formula, eg., A1*D1, and all was
well. When I changed the formula, per lesson instructions, to the column
labels,=(qty)*(price), the resultant was an astronomicaly large negative
number. The initial numbers were 20 and 4.85 and the subject cell is in

the
same row. I tried setting up a dummy worksheet using different numbers and
labels and the same procedure and it worked. Any ideas as to what I may be
doing wrong?