Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Instr() with multiple search terms

As far as I remember, you would have to use an if or select case

Sub ins()
If InStr(1, "Hello World", "Hello") = 1 Or _
InStr(1, "Hello World", "dog") = 1 Then y = 1
MsgBox y

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"ExcelMonkey" wrote in message
I it possible to use the Instr() function with multiple search terms. The
idea being that all below should return a value fo 1

Dim Y as Double

Y = Instr(1, "Hello World", "Hello|"The"|"Dog")
Y = Instr(1, "The World", "Hello|"The"|"Dog")
Y = Instr(1, "Dog World", "Hello|"The"|"Dog")

The idea here being to find matches at the beginning of the Target String.

Alternatively I could use Regular Expressions. But I cannot remember how
use the Match functionality to return the position of the word.

Thanks

EM