Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Writing records to CSV file

Excel will open the file ok--but you'll see a warning. Excel will truncate the
data at 64k rows. There's no room to read the entire .csv file.

Ken Warthen wrote:

Dave,

A single CSV file is the requirement. Again, I thought since the file
format would be xlCSV it could still be opened in Excel 2003, but if not, it
could be opened with a text editor. In any case, I'm kind of stuck creating
a single CSV file with all the records, be it a few thousand or several
hundred thousand.

Ken

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You can write a file as large as you want (limited by harddrive space???).

But the question is how will the recipient use that file. If it's too large for
you to open in xl2003, then it'll be too big for the recipient, too.

Depending on what you want, you could write to multiple .csv files and limit
their line count to less than 64k.

Then the recipient could open each .csv file into a new worksheet or new
worksheet in a new workbook.

Ken Warthen wrote:

Dave,

The user will be using Excel 2003. If I can write the records into an xlCSV
file, I thought the row limitation will not apply.

Ken

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Maybe the recipient has xl2007 (with 1MB rows).

Or maybe the .csv files will be split into smaller pieces some how????

"Just Another Yahoo!" wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something (and please correct me if so) but if the workbook
is too big to export as .csv, then won't it be too big to import into Excel
for the reviewer as well, regardless of how you save it (as either a workbook
or .csv)?
--
Toby Erkson
Excel 2003, WinXP

"Ken Warthen" wrote in message
Jennifer,

I actually need to use the xlCSV file format as one of the endusers will be
reviewing the file in Excel before its data is uploaded to a mainframe
application.

Ken

--

Dave Peterson