Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
syoung syoung is offline

Default How can I prevent #NA in Lookup

I tried this formula, but it did not work for me. Instead of a blank, the
number returned was the closest number in the array (as if TRUE was used in
the vlookup). Do you have a suggestion? Here is my forumula

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(W7,'[INC STMTS.xls]detail for
input'!$A$2:$C$4979,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(W7,'[INC STMTS.xls]detail for
input'!$A$2:$C$4979,2,0))

Why is there a 0 instead of FALSE at the end of the vlookup?

Thanks for helping, Sue

"Joel" wrote:

if(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,sheet4!A1:c300,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP (A1,sheet4!A1:c300,2,0))

the first VLOKKUP is used to test if you get a NA. It is inside the ISNA().
The "" is if it does find the NA then print nothing. The second VLOOKUP
returns the value when there isn't a NA.