Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
WCM WCM is offline

Default Excel .xlsm / Vista / Speed Problem

Hi Martin,
Thank you for your response. No, I do not have any charts for other
graphics - only several simple macros that do easy updates on 500 rows of
data. Same situation in Excel2003 would take 1-2 seconds to save.

"Martin Brown" wrote:

WCM wrote:
ps: I timed how long it takes workbook to save: 25 seconds.

"WCM" wrote:

I am running Excel 2007 on Vista (2GB Ram / 3GHz CPU). I am working on an
.xlsm file with 6 short macros and 500 4-column rows of data.

Switching back and forth between the Excel sheet and the VBA code window
takes way too long (about 10 seconds) and saving the workbook also takes
approx 10 seconds. If I use Excel 2000 for the same work, it is extremely
fast - not enough delay to notice.

Nothing wrong with my machine. Anyone know why working on an .xlsm workbook
would on Vista would be so slow? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help ...

Bill

Are charts and graphs involved? That is the only situation I have found
where the performance of XL2007 is more than an order of magnitude
slower and borderline unstable because of race conditions.

The sorts of things the go wrong are axes get referneced by VBA before
they have been drawn. You can fix it with judicious use of delays and
that appears to have been the bodge applied to the main code too :(

Some of my calibration spreadsheets with many graphs that were a couple
of seconds or less on XL2003 now have to display an estimated wait time
in minutes to stop the users from aborting it!

Regards,
Martin Brown