darkXL

Thx Max,

This worked to find the start period, how can this be changed to find the
end period too? Also as some assignements will have work done on period 3 no
work on period 4 and is completed on 5 i need the 5th period returned.

Thanks,

"Max" wrote:

One way ..

Assuming the periods are labelled in B2:F2,
with data running down in B3:F3, B4:F4, etc

Put in say, G3, and array-enter the formula,
i.e. press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER:

=IF(COUNTBLANK(B3:F3)=5,"",
INDEX(B$2:F$2,,MATCH(1,--(B3:F3<""),0)))

Copy G3 down
--
Rgds
Max
"darkXL" wrote in message

I have a list of periods, with assignments starting and ending at

different
periods. I need a formula that can search each row, find the first no

blank
value and get the corresponding period.

Is there a formula that can do this as my VB understanding is limited.

thx