Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Matthew Herbert Matthew Herbert is offline

Default How to Change ALL Hyperlink Addresses in a Column?

On Aug 15, 2:53*pm, (Terry) wrote:
Excel 2003, XP Pro

I have a single-sheet workbook with 600 and climbing entries in col A,
each with a hyperlink. The files in each link are now located on an
external drive so that I can work on building the sheet from different
computers. Eventually, all the files will be moved to a more permanent
location on a different computer, exact address unknown.

My question is: how does one change the addresses of each hyperlink in
a global fashion? I really don't want to stroke in new addresses!

Present Address: *file:///E:\FOLDER E1\TEMP QSL DATA\Data Filename

Tentative Final Address: * *file:///C:\FINAL QSL DATA\Data Filename

I am not a programmer and I know just enough about Excel to be
dangerous! I would truly appreciate any solutions, especially in the
hand-holding department!

TIA--
Terry--WB4FXD
Edenton, NC

Terry,

Why not create a "prefix" string in one cell which contains the folder
path? You can then concatenate this prefix and the file name for your
hyperlink. So, if A1 were the prefix and A2 were the file name then
you could create a function in B2 that looks something like the
following: =$A$1&A2. Once the file path looks the way you want you
can embed it in the HYPERLINK function. You can then copy this
formula down for all of your files. This way, all you need to do is
change the "prefix" in A1 and calculate the cells (F9 if calculation
is manual).

Best,

Matthew Herbert