Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
David Benson[_3_] David Benson[_3_] is offline

Default Finding the Y-Value of Points

I have a somewhat complex set of bar-charts. Some (but not all) of the data
series that make up each chart have the values of the points displayed. Due
to the complex formatting of the charts, I can't just display the values
using Data Labels, so I display them in Text Boxes. I have written a macro
that automatically positions each text box just above the bar whose value it
shows, and changes the formatting of the text box based on the formatting of
whatever it happens to be positioned over.

Until now, I got the value associated with each bar from the actual cells on
the worksheet. However, a recent change to the requirements for the charts
means I am not always plotting data from a contiguous range. For example, a
data range might consist of Sheet2!(E2,E7:E10) on one chart, or Sheet
3!(E3:E9) on another chart. This makes looking up the value for each bar in
the chart-formatting macro harder.

I would like to be able to use the set of plotted values rather than reading
cells off the worksheet, but I can't figure out how to get at them. I tried
using ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(i).Points(j), but there is no Values
property associated with this object. I also tried using
ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(i).Values, but that apparently only returns the
array of plotted values -- I can't get it to return a single value.

Does anyone know how I can return the plotted y-value of a single point?

BTW - I am using Excel 2007. As a side comment, it appears to me that the
Help function in this version of VBA is seriously degraded from what it used
to be in Excel 2003!

David Benson