Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default More Excel 2007 Speed Issues

Catalin Florean wrote:
Hi All,

This is a very old thread, but I just upgraded my users from Office 2003
to 2007. Almost immediately then Excel slow performance became a big
problem.

We have hundreds of excel files, based on the same empty template, used
at work. Under 2003 everything worked OK.
In 2007 a "page down" will take 10-15 second to scroll.

It is only certain things or more commonly unfortunate combinations of
things that cripple its performance. It would be worth looking to see
what is special about this spreadsheet that causes this slowness.

Lots of graphs is the main one that I find to be a problem. YMMV

This is what I've done to improve:

1. Excel Options - Advanced - Disabled "Enable multi-threaded
calculation"

Even with dual-core computers Excel works faster if this option is
disabled.

That is a bit surprising.

2. Using OpenOffice 3.1 I opended existing excel file and saved it as MS
Office 2003 format.
The resulting file was half the size and when I open it with Office 2007
the speed improvements are just fantastic.

Do you not get the same benefit opening the file in compatibility mode
as saved with XL2003?

For info, at work we all have the same HP dual core laptops with 2GB
RAM, XP Pro and Office 2007 pro.

It is worth applying the various service packs too. Some things are a
bit better in SP3. It still isn't what you would call quick.

Regards,
Martin Brown