Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Row source question.

Try this:

msgbox worksheets("Imp").range("d1:d32").address(external :=true)

You'll see that it includes the workbook name, worksheet name and the cell
address.

I'm not sure what full screen is, but if that means it looks like you could fit
32 entries in that area, then I'd look back at the worksheet and check to see
what's in that range. Maybe you're off by a column.

Hydra wrote:

None of them have worked for me.

I get a form with a command button to close the form
I get a control for the combo box, with a cursor in the box, but no data.
the combo box has a scroll bar, but it goes full screen, there being nothing
to scroll to.

What Does ----- address(external:=true) ----Do?

What i really want is

Me.ctrlMajorEventList.RowSource = "'Major Event'!$d$1:$d$32" where major
event is a different sheet.

Does that mean I ahave to define ws as "Major Event" instead of "Imp" which
is the active sheet??

Closing and reopening excel has no effect. I have trid different ranges
with different kinds of data. I cannot assign the row source directly in the
properties table: that throws an error.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Your first line of code worked fine for me:

Me.ctrlMajorEventList.RowSource = "Imp!$d$1:$d$32"

I like this syntax better:
Me.ctrlMajorEventList.RowSource _
= worksheets("Imp").range("d1:d32").address(external :=true)

But that's just my preference--your code worked fine for me.

When you say that the combobox was blank, do you mean the value of the combobox
was blank--or that the dropdown showed nothing (an empty list)?

If you wanted to show a choice in that combobox, you could add:
With Me.ctrlmajorEventList
.RowSource = Worksheets("imp").Range("D1:d32").Address(external :=True)
.ListIndex = 0 'or 0 to 31 (0 based)
End With

But I bet you didn't mean that.

When you use the dropdown arrow, do you see a very short dropdown area--like
there's nothing assigned to the combobox?

Or do you see a dropdown that looks like it would support 32 entries?

If you see the first, then something bad is happening (I don't have a clue).

But if you see the second, I'd check to make sure that D1:D32 on Imp actually
has data in it.

ps. And one more thing to make sure it's not a pc display problem.

If you close excel, then reopen it, then open your workbook and show the
userform, does it appear ok?

Hydra wrote:

I have a user form that contains a combo box.

The rowsource is a named range in Excel. If I put the named range in the
properties box of the combobox on the form, the form and combobox control
appears when called but the combo box is blank.

The row souce is on a different worksheet inthe same workbook from the sheet
that is active when the form is called. I have tried renaming the rowsource
when the form is initialized as follows (Iterations commented out).

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Dim ws As Worksheet
Set ws = Worksheets("Imp")
'Me.ctrlMajorEventList.RowSource = "Imp!$d$1:$d$32" (shows blank data
against current weeksheet, where data exists.
'Me.ctrlMajorEventList.RowSource = MajorEventList (shows Blank data, major
eventlist is a rangename)
'Me.ctrlmajorEventList.Rowsource = "''Major events'!b1:b30" ) (Shows blank
data agianst a separte sheet where data exists)

End Sub

Whether I use:
Me.ctrlEventList.RowSource = MajorEventList

or

Me.ctrlEventList.RowSource = "'Major Events'!b1:b30"

I get no error message, but I also get no data showing in the form.

I call the form using:

frmSelectMajorEvent.Show

When it opens, it should initialize itself, right? Or do I need to open the
form and also call the initalize routine to initialize the data source?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson