Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Steve Steve is offline

Default Updating criteria table in one spreadsheet from another

I have had problems copying from one spreadsheet from another and ending up
with external references, so I am asking this question. Using Excel 2003.

I can create a simple spreadsheet B to update part of a criteria table in
spreadsheet A. The criteria table is the basis for a lot of lookup functions
in spreadsheet A. Users would copy B into the same folder as A, then just
click an "Update" button in B. This would unprotect the "Data" sheet in A,
copy a range from spreadsheet B to the "Data" sheet, then turn protection
back on for the "Data" sheet.

Issue 1 The users have renamed spreadsheet A, so when they click the
button in B I would like them to be able to choose from a list the name of
the spreadsheet they want to update. This would be simpler than typing in
the name. How do I program this?

Issue 2 I don't want to create external references or mess up the named
ranges in spreadsheet A. How can I avoid this?