Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Hide rows based on cell data

You can run autofilter from a macro.

Instead of "writing" the macro, try using the macro recorder.

When you have the code for that, you can refine it to event code which runs
when users select a Dept from a Data Validation dropdown list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:11:02 -0700, Munchkin
wrote:

I use autofilter all the time, but the people using this spreadsheet are not
familiar with Excel & would not be receptive to learning how to use
Autofilter. My worksheet has various macros assigned to buttons to make this
super easy. I tried writing a macro that used autofilter, but when I tried
to run it I got an error message, so I thought you could not use autofilter
in a macro.

I'm completely self taught at this stuff....so I'm an amature at this stuff.

Can you use autofilter in a macro?

"Patrick Molloy" wrote:

have you tried the Autofilter? that's exactly what it can do for you

"Munchkin" wrote in message
My spreadsheet shows 6 different department's file records. Colum J
specifies Dept A, Dept B, Dept C, etc. I'd like to create a macro button
for each Dept that would show just thier records and hide the others, but
don't know how. Can anyone help?