Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Aardvark Aardvark is offline

Default Similar Function in VBA - does it exist ?

You don't say what your ultimate objective is, but I assume it is to identify
misspelt names and correct them. If so, why not use the spell checker with a
custom dictionary? Your dictionary would contain Aston and Martin but not
Asto.
HTH

"christopher ward" wrote:

Dear Experts

I have a need to compare 2 data items - Var1 and Var2 which are both strings

Var1 may have "Aston Martin" within it and Var2 may have "Asto Martin" - i.e
they are similar and a user has spelt Var2 incorrectly.

I need to evaluate them so I can see in a long list they are the same - has
VBA a function which compares Is Similar or has any one an idea how this may
be done

As always I appreciate your ideas and thoughts and thank you in advance

Chris
--
C Ward