JemyM

JMB Wrote:
Are the sub lists necessary? Could you use the advanced filter
(Data/Filter/Advanced Filter - check unique records only) to create a
unique
list of all of the skills. Then enter a formula to the right of each
skill
to find the highest value for that particular skill from your original
table

{=MAX(($A$2:$A$8=E2)*($B$2:$B$8))}

where $A$2:$A$8 is the original table, $B$2:$B$8 contains the values
for
each skill in your original table, and cell E2 is the first cell of
the
unique record list (which I created with advanced filter).

Note the formula is an array formula. When you key it in, you have to
hit
Cntrl+Shift+Enter (Excel will put the braces around it - you don't key
those
in yourself). Then copy it down your unique list and sort the list to
find
the top 12.

I am not adept in using the Advanced Filter yet. The complete list is
about 68 skills followed by a value.

Bluff 5
Climb 40
Computer Use 0
Concentration 1

By a previous formula the top 12 skills are selected by it's value.
Skills below thoose 12 and their values are then forgotten.

Now I just need to build five lists based upon thoose selected 12, only
listing skills that begins with a specific word: Craft (max 6),
Performance (max 2), Language (max 3), Knowledge (max 3) and Pilot (max
3).

All theese tables exist in a separate stylesheet so it's ok if they
doesnt look nice, as long as they work.

--
JemyM
JemyM's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26945