Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
dan dan is offline

Default Launch msn messenger box by clicking on a name in excel? Help!

"Simon Lloyd" wrote:

Well you can launch any .exe file with Excel, however to launch a
messenger window you will have to know the trigger for that and insert
it in this code, although i do not think you will be able to open the
window as a certain username.

You say you want to open the messenger window to a certain contact and
then someone will type the information, it seems like you're re
inventing the wheel....msn does this beautifully, lists all the names
too (if they are already added friends or contacts of yours.

That said here's the code i promised
Code:
--------------------
Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
Sub test()
ShellExecute 0, vbNullString, "MyExe.exe", vbNullString, "C:\", 1
End Sub
--------------------

Dan;422592 Wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question that i've yet to be able to find the answer to. I
work in
the entertainment industry and we have a large upcoming show where we
have
50+ people that are allocated to various places around a convention
center.

There is one central hub where information will go out to various
people via
msn messenger at different times. I've set up a spreadsheet (in excel
07) on
where everyone will be at what times and what they are in charge of,
but i'm
wondering if its possible to do programming so if there's a message
that
needs to go out to a certain person, the person sitting at the central
hub
location can simply look up on the spreadsheet who is there, click on
the
box(or do some kind of action), and it will automatically open up a msn
window addressed to that person and they can type the message (this
would be
assuming msn messenger is up and running and all names have been added
so it
would be just like double clicking a name in msn messenger and a box
opening
up).

Does anyone out there have the knowhow to do somethinglike that? is it
possible?

Of course there's always the old-school way of just looking up the name
on
msn and typing it but i'm trying to make this as seamless as possible
since
there will be a lot of information flowing out.

I really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this! Unfortunately
i'm
waiting until the last second as I'll need to get this out to people by
Tuesday!

Thanks a lot in advance for the advice!

--
Simon Lloyd