Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Christina Christina is offline

Default Not a programmer...am I in over my head??

Thanks for your response! Yes, they are all in the same directory. Output
will be to seperate sheets in the same book. Another response says I should
do a macro with the code and post it...? I can do that.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Simple enough, hardest part is identifying the 'getting' of the files.

Are they all in the same directory, and are they the only ones there?

Where will the data go in the template, all appended on the first sheet, a
sheet per workbook, or something else?

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Christina" wrote in message
I just need someone to tell me if I'm crazy to even think about trying to
figure this out or if I should just try to get a "real" programmer to do
it.
Here's the problem:

5 workbooks for 1 company (call the company P1).
300 companies (P1-P300, 1500 files total).
Files are consistantly named P1_this_data, P1_that_data then
P2_this_data,
P2_that_data(output from STATA in xls or cvs format).
Created a "template" where data for P1 is pulled in.
Need to pull in data into the same template from P2, then P3, etc.
Right now I know I can open the "template", open the next company's files,
do a search and replace (P1 with P2, etc.) and then save as.
For this many files...that's a lot of manual work, no?
Would like to automate:
Opening the next set of files, doing the search and replace doing the save
as and renaming.
Sorry to be so ignorant...is this even possilbe?

Thanks for any help.