Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
sk005 sk005 is offline

Default Too long to save an Excel file

Hi JLGWhiz, Thanks for the quick reply. I am begining to wonder if this has
got anything to do with the no. of modules and class modules this application
has got. Microsoft KB says it stores one control at a time to the disk. So
more no.of modules and class modules more time it may take to save. Any
thoughts? Thanks

"JLGWhiz" wrote:

You could try disc cleanup and defragmentation. That might help some, but I
doubt that is the real cause. I have had files of about 1 meg that took
longer to save than files of three or four meg and have never figured out
exactly why, although I suspect it is a protocol problem. I have no idea
how Excel writes files to disc but it probably has a certain protocol and if
the file contains formulas it does one thing, if it has code it does another
and if it has both the it does something else, but I have no idea which
causes what and how the formatting decisions are made to write the files and
index them in the FAT. I have just learned to accept the fact that some do
better than others.

"sk005" wrote in message
Hi, I wrote an Excel/VBA application using a lot of modules and class
modules. the file size of this application tempate is 6.8M. It takes just
over two minute to save to network share and above a minute to save
locally.
Is there any way to improve the saving time? I tried to implement the
Micosoft solution of saving it locally (c:\temp ) mostly and background
copy
to the share drive and then re-opening newly coped file from the share but
the best I can hope for is about a minute. Is there anyway I can improve
the
saving time significantly?

Thanks in advance.
sk005