Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Eduardo Eduardo is offline

Default How to remove dashes in Social Security number

Hi,
you have to put it in an adjacent column, you can use subtitute or

=TEXT(A1,"000000000")

as explained before

if your data start in cell A1 you put the formula in B1
"George" wrote:

Where do I insert this formula ?

Thanks- Sorry for the trouble...

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Insert a column and use the below formula. Copy down as required

=SUBSTITUTE(D1,"-",)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"George" wrote:

That works but it drops any leading zeros from SS# that start with zero !

Thanks

"Eduardo" wrote:

Hi George,
Highlight the column where you have the numbers
Press CTRL H, find what put the dash, replace with leave blank, replace all

"George" wrote:

John - That works but it drops any leading zeros,
plus I am in the Air Force and they don't like Macros
running on their system without them proofing them.

How can I get Jacob's suggestion to work ?

Thanks

"john" wrote:

Jacobss method easiest but if you want macro following should work.
I have used Column D but you will need to amend as required

Sub ReplaceDashes()

Columns("D:D").Replace What:="-", _
Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
MatchCase:=False, _
SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False

jb

"George" wrote:

Each month I receive an excel spreadsheet and one of the columns has social
security numbers with the dashes. I have to import it into Access without the
dashes, how can I remove the dashes from the social security numbers in Excel
- without doing it by hand ? Is there a way to use format cells to clear the
dashes ?

Thanks