Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Patrick Molloy Patrick Molloy is offline

Default How to Check cell column A and add 1 to cell of column D by using Macro

the object was to check all cells in column A and put 1 into D for any row
where there was nothing in A.

my code did that.

alternative method:-

dim nn as long
nn = range("A65000").End(xlUp).Row
WITH Range("D2:D" & nn )
.FormulaR1C1="=IF(RC1="""",1,"""")"
.Calculate
.Value = .Value
End With

"tlee" wrote in message
Hi Partick,

Thanks for your recommendation.

Besides, how do it check the cell of column A when it is blank, it will
delete the row at that cell?
I think as you said it is better to use xlUP.

tlee

but xlDown stops at the first blank cell in A. I deliberately used xlUp
to cover all blanks

"tlee" wrote in message
Hi Partick,

Thanks for you help again!!!

It is because it takes time for check the column A. As the result, I
cannot see the result immediately.
So, I changed End(xlup) to End(xldown).

Likes:
for rw = 1 to range("A65500").End(xldown).Row
if cells(rw,1)="" then cells(rw,"D")= cells(rw,"D") + 1
next

Then I can see the action promptly.

Thanks
tlee

1.go to the development environment - press and hold ALT then press F11
2. from the menu click "INSERT" then "MODULE"
3. type
SUB DEMO
4. paste into the sub the code i gave to you
5. EITHER
(a) press F5
OR
(b) go back to the work sheet. select Tools / Macro /Macros , select
Demo from the list and click "Run"

"tlee" wrote in message
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your message first.

But, it is not respond. Can help again?

tlee

for rw = 1 to range("A65500").End(xlUp).Row
if cells(rw,1)="" then cells(rw,"D")= cells(rw,"D") + 1
next

"tlee" wrote in message
Dear all,

Could anyone help how do I loop to check cells of column A if there
is not empty, then add 1 to cell of column D and stop until the cell
of column A is empty?

Thanks for your help.

tlee