Chris Gregory

Default Label XY scatter plot points by frequency of occurence (no pivot t

Hello,

Thought I was done with my charting questions, but have one more... I have a
spreadsheet with ~100 columns (individual animals, divided equally into 5
species) and ~100 rows (different morphological measurements). When I create
my graphs, I have one graph for each measurement. The species are the x-axis
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and the measurement range is the y-axis.

Some of my measurements are categorical, such as color (black = 1, white =
2, yellow = 3, etc.). When I graph my 100 individuals, I see a point for each
color for each species type. This is not surprising as there is a lot of
variation in the color of my species. However, I want to get a better idea of
the number of black individuals, brown individuals, etc. for each species.
Thus, is there a way to have Excel count the number of individuals of each
color & species and then use those values as data labels?

As we are constantly adding characters and individuals, and we have a bunch
of continuous variables within the spreadsheet, I'd rather not deal with
PivotTables or adding the counts to a separate column to label my data. If
labeling in this way is not possible, is it possible to add extra data points
to a graph. For example, one point for every 10 occurences of a variable.
Thus if there were 50 black individuals of species 1, rather than seeing one
data point, the chart would show 5 points next to each other.

Hopefully my question(s) make sense. Thanks for any ideas you might have,

Chris