Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Sam Sam is offline

Default auto populate a field based on other fields

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the reply.

the values I gave in were just an example. There are no numeric values in
any fields.

The concept that i explained is true, but the values are somewhat similar to
displayed as below:

A: Hello, What, Going, There
B: Did, Jolly, Cool, Tomorrow
C: Just, Did

so lets say for eg, If Hello and Did are selected, C will remain blanck
If Hello, Jolly are selected, C will populate to Jusst
If What and Did are selected, C will populate to Did

And so on.. I hope it is clearer now?

Thanks in Advance

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

The below formula will do

In C1
=IF(A1<B1,"a",IF(A1=B1,"c","b"))

Further to handle blank entries
=IF(COUNT(A1:B1),IF(A1<B1,"a",IF(A1=B1,"c","b"))," ")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"sam" wrote:

I have an excel sheet where I want to auto populate a field (that has
specific values listed in a drop down menu) based on two other fields (both
are dropdown menus with specific values)

For Eg.:
there are 3 fields A, B, C and all these three fields have specific values
which we can select through a drop down menu. Now, Lets say values in the
fields are as follows:

A: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
B: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
C: a, b, c

So now, If I select '1' for A and '1' for B then I DONT want any thing to
populate in C and leave it blank.
If I select '1' for A and '2' for B then I want 'a' to be populated in C
If I select '2' for A and '1' for B then I want 'b' to be populated in C
If I select '1' for A and '1' for B then I want 'c' to be populated in C

Basically,
If the value in field A is smaller then field B then I want 'a' to be
populated in C.
If the value in field B is smaller then field A then I want 'b' to be
populated in C.
If the value in field A and B are equal then I want 'c' to be populated in C.

Hope I made it clear enough.

Thanks in Advance.