Ross

Default Blank cell revisited

I am re-posting this one 'cause I couln't make the procedure provide for
it's solution work.

In a worksheet I am createing there is colum titled "Date Closed",-- the
whole column is set to a light blue
background color, the rest of the sheet is white with gridlines. At time of
closure the date is entered. I would like to have any cell in that column
that is blank -- no closing day yet entered, I to have a red background and
when I enter a closure date, I want it to change to be the original color I
set for the column. The column I am using is J and Dave gave me this
formula: =J1="" to use.
I went to Format/conditional formatting. I selected formula from the
drop-down and put that formula in, adusted the format to red background
color and when I hit enter, although there are plenty of blank cells in the
J column, none of them turn red. Why not?
Doable?
Thanks
Ross