Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FireVic FireVic is offline

Default Excel Challenge: Compare multiple worksheets macro

What % match would you assign to Sheet3 relative to Sheet1?

2/5 = 40%. 10 and 20 are common out of 5 options for Sheet 3. In my sheets,
they can be in a diferent cell, not necessarly a matching cell.

What % match would you assign to Sheet3 relative to Sheet2?

1/5 = 20%. Only 10 is found in Sheet 2 that Sheet 3 has out of 5 available
options.

One thing to keep in mind is that I will constantly be adding new sheets,
and the latest sheet will be compared to the stored ones.

Thank you for taking this challenge!

"INTP56" wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for.

Consider the following, where Sheet1# is the number of times the option
shows up on Sheet1, Sheet2# is the number of times that option shows up on
Sheet2, etc.

Option # Desc Sheet1# Sheet2# Sheet3#
1 A 50 10 0
2 B 30 10 5
3 C 10 10 10
4 D 40 10 15
5 E 20 10 20

What % match would you assign to Sheet3 relative to Sheet1?
What % match would you assign to Sheet3 relative to Sheet2?

I'd have to understand more to help with an algorithm.

Bob

"FireVic" wrote:

Thanks in advanced for time:

I am going to be adding a list of option numbers with their description per
order to worksheets. The worksheets will be named sequentialy as Sheet1
Sheet2 etc.

The option number will be in column A and option description (useless so
far) will be in column b

Every time I add a worksheet, I want to be able to compare this worksheet
with all of the worksheets stored comparing common and uncommon option
between them.

When the comparison macro stops running comparing all of the available
worksheets, I should be able to see a percentage of matches (same value
options) per worksheet that exist in a message box. Like:

Sheet1 90% Match
Sheet2 95% Match
Etc.

Thanks again!