Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Trefor Trefor is offline

Default Can you have a command line arg with a workbook?

Patrick,

Many thanks for you reply. I would still have to use multiple IF statements
for each count though wouldnt I?

Also on another note, this script starts a new instance of Excel. Is it
possible for the script to use the existing instance if there is one?

--
Trefor

"Patrick Molloy" wrote:

use .Arguments.Count to check that you have enough

eg
dim expected
expected = 3
if wscript.arguments.count = expected then
msgbox "OK"
else
msgbox "Missing arg"
end if

"Trefor" wrote in message
Patrick / Steve,

This is my first venture into VBScript and I know this is the start of
what
will work for me. As it stands the VBScript will error if all the args are
not specified. What is the best way to handle this?

I tied this and it appears to work, but look a little excessive:

If Arg1 < "" and Arg2 < "" then
objXL.run "TestMacro", CStr(Arg1), CStr(Arg2)
Elseif Arg2 < "" then
objXL.run "TestMacro", CStr(Arg1), ""
Else
objXL.run "TestMacro", "" , ""

Trefor

"Steve Yandl" wrote:

Trefor,

I've always used a vbScript file as a sort of helper file to do this sort
of
thing.

For my test, I created a workbook named "C:\Test\TestBk1.xls". In module
1
I created a subroutine named "TestMacro" that takes two text string
arguments.

Now I create a text file that I name "C:\Test\LaunchSub.vbs". The
contents
of this script is shown between the lines below,
arg1 = WScript.Arguments(0)
arg2 = WScript.Arguments(1)

Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
objXL.Visible = True
Set objWkbk = objXL.Workbooks.Open("C:\Test\TestBk1.xls")
objXL.run "TestMacro", CStr(arg1), CStr(arg2)

Now, the command line that I can use at the prompt for cmd.exe or at the
'Start Run' line for Windows would be:
WScript.exe "C:\Test\LaunchSub.vbs" "dog" "cat"
Note, that I am using WScript.exe with the name of my vbs file as the
first
argument. After that is a space followed by my first argument to go to
the
vbs script and then a second space followed by my final argument. Those
arguments will be retrieved in the WScript.Arguments collection. In the
script, all the arguments will be treated as variant type so you will
want
to convert them to the appropriate data type before sending them to your
Excel macro.

Steve Yandl

"Trefor" wrote in message
If it possible to read an arg from the command line in VBA?

myworkbook.xls arg1 arg2

I would like to run a certain macro if a certain argument or parameter
is
specified.
--
Trefor