Peter

I've solved a similar problem by having 2 columns for each daily column. The
first column is the "type" of work eg: NORM or HOL etc. The second column
records the relevant "hours" eg: 8, 4, 0 etc. The total column only add the
hours columns. You can create a lookup table so that when you put HOL in the
"type" column then 8 (for example) is shown in the hours column.

HTH
--
Peter
London, UK

"Shaun" wrote:

I have a rota worksheet that contains columns for start & finish times each
weekday and a final column that adds the total hours worked. I would like to
be able to enter text such as Holiday or Training in the daily columns but it
causes an error msg in the total hours cell.

I would like to asssign a value to the text, eg HOL would be considered as a
normal day - 8 hrs - and included in the total hrs.