Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rick's nickname Rick's nickname is offline

Default return UDT element to spreadsheet cell

On Jun 6, 2:21*pm, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org
wrote:
Rick,

The usual method is to return an array from your UDF:

Function SeparateValueFromUnit(ByVal strInput As String) As Variant
Dim fromwhere As Integer
fromwhere = InStr(Trim(strInput), ".") + 4
Dim myVal(0 To 1) As Variant
myVal(0) = CDbl(Left(Trim(strInput), fromwhere))
myVal(1) = Mid(Trim(strInput), fromwhere + 1)
SeparateValueFromUnit = IIf(Application.Caller.Columns.Count 1, _
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * myVal, Application.Transpose(myVal))
End Function

Select two cells (either in one row or one column), then array enter (enter
using Ctrl-Shift-Enter)
=SeparateValueFromUnit(H2)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Rick's nickname" wrote in message

Using Excel 2003.

I have a module with the following code:

Type ValUnit
*tValue As Double
*tUnit As String
End Type

Function SeparateValueFromUnit(ByVal strInput As String) As ValUnit

*Dim fromwhere As Integer
*fromwhere = InStr(trim(strInput), ".") + 4
*SeparateValueFromUnit.tValue = Left(trim(strInput), fromwhere)
*SeparateValueFromUnit.tUnit = Mid(trim(strInput), fromwhere + 1)

End Function

If I go to the immediate window and enter:
? separatevaluefromunit(" * *49.0000RLS").tunit
I get the correct response.

If I go to a cell in the worksheet and enter: (H2 Holds "
49.0000RLS")
=SeparateValueFromUnit(H2).tUnit
I get an error: "The formula you typed contains an error".

How do I return just one element (tUnit, or tValue) to this cell?

I will try that, but I don't understand why I can execute the function
from the intermediate window and it works just as I want it to work,
but when I enter that same line into a cell I get the formula error.
Isn't that what a UDF in combination with a UDT is supposed to be used
for?