Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Andy Andy is offline

Default Strange macro behavior - result is correct every other time

On May 19, 12:54*am, "Tim Williams" wrote:
Maybe a better example might help. *The code you posted wouldn't give an
"answer": did you mean "exit for" and not "exit sub" ?

Since the code you have is too complex to explain, can you reduce it to a
smaller version which has the same problem ? *Without that it's unlikely
anyone could guess the cause of your problem.

You specifically mention that you're not using static variables, but you
*are* using global variables, which wouldn't lose their values without
resetting the environment with "Stop" or some other method. *Why don't you
suspect your globals ?

Tim

"Andrew" wrote in message

Hello,
I am stumped. *I have a large VBA program with about 8 subroutines and
maybe 50-70 variables. *The program itself is too complicated to
explain, however as a gross approximation, it works about like this:

Private Sub Main_Clicl()
for x = 1 to 1000
if x^2+10x+25 = 100 then
exit sub
next
cells(1,1)=x
End Sub

So, the program would search for an answer. *Anyway, let's just say
that for this example, when I click on a button on the screen, I get
an answer in cells(1,1). *So, I click it one time and I get the
correct answer; I click a second time and I get an incorrect answer.
I click again, and I get the right answer. *And this pattern
continues.

I am not using any static variables. *All my variables are global.
Can someone please explain what might be happening.

thanks

Guys,
I wish I could submit the code, but I have 8 subroutines and several
hundred lines of code. I have run some output tests to verify that my
variables are all 0 prior to the function calls. I don't think there
is an easy answer here. I will have to dig line by line to find the
culprit.