Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mr. Haney Mr. Haney is offline

Default Tally my bananas! :-)

On Fri, 01 May 2009 10:58:20 -0700, Mr. Haney
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:33:12 +0100, "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions
wrote:

someone that IS familiar with the code

OK, as far as you are concerned I am not familiar with code

To columns of
UniqueID and TotalofTallies(UniqueID).

I suggested how to achieve exactly that, specifically,
UniqueID - Advanced filter
TotalofTallies(UniqueID) - Sumproduct

Just to be sure I, and others who may be able to help you more, understand
the objective, try this simple example

in A1:B5
ID units
apple 1
pear 2
apple 3
pear 4

in C1:C3
UniqueID
apple
pear

in D2: =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$5=C2)*$B$2:$B$5)
copy D2 down to D3.

You should get results 4 & 6, TotalofTallies(UniqueID)
Is that equivalent to what you are looking for

Regards,
Peter T

Yes, That is exactly what I want, EXCEPT that you "manually" construct
the list at C1 thru C3. The code needs to construct it.

I want the code to test the entire column, and return the list. It
seems to be a simple If not = "" or such to disregard the blank lines,
but any lines it does find need to be tallied in the result table, but
not just tallied separately, any like entries need to have a single entry
in the result sheet, yet tally all entries on the data array sheet
tested.

So, I need to test and construct the list, and *then* populate it with
totallized tallies (is that redundant?). :-)

I have succeeded in using a pivot table to view totallized results, but
I still think there is a much more simple way to tally once, each entry
for a given task in a given day(vertical) without the need for a pivot
table. and without the need to perform any manual list creation or update
one. Since the "table" I want to tally (the time sheet) has a fixed,
limited number of rows, one would think that the entire array could be
polled fairly easily. How long can a formula string be?