Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DMoney DMoney is offline

Default Can Excel directly access .mdb?

Yes- I do this type of thing all the time. My code connects to a database,
querrys the information based on values of cells in excel and then performs
operations using those values and returns the result to excel. Is this what
u are looking for? if so, email me and I would be glad
to help.

dmoney

"Brian" wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

Harald,

If I figure out how to set up a ADO connection to the Access DB, can I
reference data in the DB and run functions/formulas on it in Excel without
actually pulling the data into Excel?

Example of what I mean:

=SUM(DB_cell_reference1:DB_cell_reference90000)

If so, how do I set up the connection and then reference cells in the DB?

Thanks,

Brian

"Harald Staff" wrote in message
Yes, you can read and write to a database, in fact almost all kinds of
databases, from Excel and other MS Office programs, using VBA macros. The
technology you may want to use is called ADO (activex data objects).

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Brian" wrote in message
Thanks Patrick.

Your solution is what I've been doing.

To clarify my question:

Can I use data in the Access DB without actually importing it into Excel?

I apologize if I am being obtuse, much of this is new to me.

Brian

"Patrick Molloy" wrote in message
yes

menu: Data/Import External Data/New Database Query

select MS Access and follow the questions

"Brian" wrote in message
Howdy All,

I've been working on a project (with much help from Dave Peterson!)

I've imported some data from an Access Database.

Put I guess I should've asked this question first:

Can I set up a connection to the database and run macros and functions
on the data in Excel?

It seems to me if I can do that, I would save alot of time.

Thanks,
Brian