Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
sonicscooter sonicscooter is offline

Default SPEED....2003..V..2007

Hi, thanks for your reply, i can't understand why microsoft seem to forget
one of the main issues when so many of us use Excel for work, we don't just
want features within Excel.......but SPEED,....time costs us money.

Shane.

"Martin Brown" wrote:

sonicscooter wrote:
Hi, i've read several articles comparing Excel 2003 to 2007, microsoft say
2007 is faster because it uses multi cpu cores etc, but what have people on
this site found in there day to day use of them both? Im using 2003 and i
don't wish to upgrade if its a snail.

Almost everything in XL2007 SP1 runs slower even with multicore CPUs.
The charting and graphics run at glacial speed and by default XY line
graphs look like they were drawn by a 3 year old with a thick wax
crayon. Customise them to sensible settings and they are even slower.
The chart polynomial line fit has been degraded to give the same wrong
answer as LINEST (it was previously surprisingly accurate).

XL2003 is still the fastest and most stable version of Excel. I would
not recommend upgrading unless you really *need* some feature of XL2007.
Maybe with SP2 (290MB download) applied it will be better. There are
supposed to be speed improvements to the charting engine but I am not
holding my breath.

On the plus side in XL2007 you can have larger numbers of rows and
columns but you will wait much longer for it to finish.

If you rely on macro capture then XL2007 SP1 is pretty dire. It hardly
ever generates a captured macro that will work.

Regards,
Martin Brown