Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Patrick Molloy Patrick Molloy is offline

Default Character symbol meaning

it used to, in very early versions of Excel, to indicate alignment. Where a
single quote ' meant align left and a cap, ^, meant align centre.
In your code, the ^ replaces the spaces in the text. Maybe there's some
issue whereby spaces aren't legitimate.....for example where the text is
used to create a range name (mind you, ^ isn't legal either!)

"FSt1" wrote in message
hi
without seeing the rest of your code, i'm guessing but..... it appears
that
its a marker of some sort because after the substituting in the frist
line,
the second line tries to find the marker and then adds 1 to what ever the
find returns.

like i said...wild guessing here.

Regards
FSt1

"Liz" wrote:

Thank you Gary. Can it mean something different for a string? I have a
string in this cell and not sure what these variables are doing....I know
they are supposed to find the last word in the cell and extract it.

Thanks,
Liz

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

In formulas, it represents to the operator to raise a value to a power:

=7^3
same as
=7*7*7
same as
343
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200852

"Liz" wrote:

Hi -
Can someone tell me what the "^" symbol in the below variables is? Is
this a
symbol for space or end of line?

lastw = .Substitute(str2, " ", "^", Len(str2) - Len(.Substitute(str2,
" ",
"")))
lasti = .Find("^", lastw) + 1

Thanks,