Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Lookup for a value in a table

Please don't multi post, you have an answer in worksheet functions

"T.Mad" wrote:

Hi there,
I wonder if anyone can give me a good piece of advice in how to find a
specific value in a table. For example I have the next table:
A B C
1 JOHN MICHAEL MAURO
2 GEORGES STEVEN MARY
3 KIM YAN ANN

I want to find the coordinates of the word MARY. Thus, I need two lookup
functions one which will return the ROW of this word (2nd) and one which will
return the COLUMN of this word (3rd).
The problem with the existing lookup functions (eg MATCH) is that they can
only accept an array to lookup and not a two dimensional table. Please
correct me if I am wrong.
Is it possible to do it with macro functions?
Many thanks
Theo