Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JLGWhiz[_2_] JLGWhiz[_2_] is offline

Default Finding month in mm/dd/yyyy format

You could put this in column C and copy down as far as needed.

IF(TEXT(A1, "mmmm") = "January", B1, "")

"Andrew" wrote in message
Hello,
Given a column of dates in the mm/dd/yyyy format, how would I write a
function which would return only the month for each cell. I need the
month to be written out as numbers 1 through 12, or as Jan, Feb, etc.
Using the J, F, M, A, M month notation won't work because there are
too many duplicates.

Example: column 1 has dates, column 2 has daily temperatures, column 3
will contain all the temperatures for the month of January, column 4
for Feb, etc. So column three should have some function as follows:

=IF(column1 month = January, column2, "")

If someone knows how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

thanks