Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Aldo Aldo is offline

Default How to Detect when third part application releases my WorkBook

Could you give me some example code?
Thanks.

"RB Smissaert" wrote:

Does that third party application have an API, so does it show in the VBE
under Tools, References?
Another way would be to look out for that popup window with the Windows API,
again in a loop.

RBS

"Aldo" wrote in message
Hi man,
Thanks for answering.

First of all, there is no way I can insert some code into the third-part
application.
After exporting the data to the new wb, the application lives the workbook
open...
So checking if the file is open or closed won't help me...

Thanks,
Aldo.

"RB Smissaert" wrote:
One thing you could do is run a function in a loop that checks if the
file
is still
open:
Function FileIsOpen(strFile As String) As Boolean
Dim hFile As Long
On Error GoTo OpenError
hFile = FreeFile
Open strFile For Input Lock Read As #hFile
Close #hFile
Exit Function
OpenError:
FileIsOpen = Err.Number = 70
End Function
So you could run code like this:
'waiting loop that will keep running while file is open
Do While FileIsOpen("C:\Test.xls")
Loop
'now run your own code here
If that third party app has an API that you can access then there might
be a
more efficient way.
RBS
"Aldo" wrote in message
Hi there!
We have an application that export data to an MS Excel Workbook.
The workbook is based on a template I created.
When that application finish exporting the data, it pop ups a message
and
releases the workbook.
What I need is to find a way (event or other way) to detect the moment
that
the third part application releases the workbook, then activating a
macro
of
my self.

Thanks in advance for any help!