Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Carol Carol is offline

Default If cell contains AlphaNumeric "True"

Thanks FSt1 -

I'm not sure that is what I'm looking for....and forgive me here - my
programming skills are "beginner novice"...and that's on a good day. It
looks like "B2<"" - will look for blank. But, how do I find cells that
contain both Alpha and Numeric? It seems everything I try returns TRUE for
the Alpha - even when there is only alpha in the cell. I want the
alpha/numeric cells to be "true" - and everything else "false"...
--
Carol

"FSt1" wrote:

hi carol,
not sure if i understand completely but..
try this...
=IF(B2<"","True","False") 'adjust to suit
if not blank(alpha/numeric or both) then true else if blank then false.

is that what you have in mind????
or did i misunderstand???

regards
FSt1

"Carol" wrote:

I have a column where cells will contain one of the following:
" " (blank)
A9999 (A=Alpha/9=Numeric)
A (A=Alpha)

The alpha and numeric characters will vary from cell to cell.

I need a formula that will enter TRUE (or some kind of indicator) if the
cell contains alpha/numeric characters. Is this possible? Thank you!

...I do NOT know VBA.... Just thought you should know that!

--
Carol