Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tulsi Tulsi is offline

Default Macro for copying values from the dropdown list in Excel

Hi Simon, (Reply from anyone is appreciated)
Thank u for your instant reply :)

I am very new to this. I have no idea with the formula =A1 in B1 you
gave. I applied it in the insert function option under formulas. I did
not know how to go about the same.

My actual problem statement is given below:

First of all, i am using MS Excel 2007, Windows XP

I have an excel document with two sheets(sheet1 and Sheet2).
Sheet1 contains student details. And sheet2 contains the dropdown
lists.
I have created the dropdown list using data validation.

The first drop down list is in row "B4" which contains numbers
"1,2,3,4,5,6,7,invalid" as list options.

Second dropdown is in "B8" which contains company names like "ABC
Limited, DCB Limited" and so on..

Third dropdown is in "B12" which contains different posts like
"Testing, Development, Support" and so on...

Hence, when a person selects "1" from the first dropdown list
(B4,Sheet2) it should get copied to the row "D4"(sheet2). Also the
contents of D4 should get copied to H5 and E13 rows of Sheet1

But when a person selects "invalid" from the first dropdown list
(B4,Sheet2) it should allow the user to enter a value in to D4 of sheet2
.. Also that value entered by the user should get copied to H5 and E13
rows of Sheet1

The same is been applied to the second dropdown list and the third
dropdownlist.

For further understanding we have put the scenario in the form of an
algorithm. Let us know if you have problems in understanding the problem
statement.

-do select the Project version number(sheet2)

if priority is "invalid"
{
Create a text box in D5 of sheet2
Allow the user to enter invalid value in D4 of sheet2
}
else
{
copy the respective Project version number to D4 of sheet2 of same
sheet (D4,sheet2).
}

copy the contents of D4, sheet2 to Sheet1(H5 and E13)

end-

Please reply!!

--
Tulsi