Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jknapp1005 jknapp1005 is offline

Default The most basic question ever - what does "i" mean

Sorry, smartin, not meaning to be trollish. Actually, I DID spend a good hour
trying to find some definition of "i". It may seem obvious to you folks, but
as someone who is fairly new, it is isn't really obvious to me. I do realize
to those who are experienced, it would seem like a basic question. But I
looked in the index, online, in the VBA editor window, and couldn't find
anything that described it. I even referenced other's books, and didn't see
it being used.

Yeah, sometimes the most basic things do escape me. Thanks for posting.

"smartin" wrote:

jknapp1005 wrote:
Bill Jelen wrote a book for VBA in Excel 2007. I guess he thinks I know
everything. He is writing things and not explaining what they are. All the
sudden he's writing section of macros that say things like:

FinalRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1). End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 to FinalRow
Range ("A" & i & ":E" & i).Font.Bold = True
Next i

without explaining what the heck "i" means. Try searching for the meaning of
"i" in any database.

Ok I've had my fun with your missive and departed from my usual habit of
not baiting rhetorical (trollish) posts. Others have given some very
sane and reasonable explanations for the meaning of "i" in the context
of your post (even though you didn't ask for that). I hope they made sense.

jknapp1005, If you spent any time at all looking at code--in any
language--you will encounter "i" as it is commonly used, as the saner
posters described, as a generic looping variable.

To the point: I suggest you engage in a couple minutes of independent
study to make sure you are not overlooking the obvious before attacking
anyone. If the concept still doesn't make sense, ask a reasonable
question, not a rhetorical (trollish) one.