Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DGreco DGreco is offline

Default Programming Excel to open a program

I have an application where I want Excel to open a file listed in a
spreadsheet. This spreadsheet contains a list of Autocad drawings. Ordinarily
I'd just use the Hyperlink function to allow the user to click on it and
AutoCad will open the file. However, we have limited netowrk licenses and
they are assigned on a first come basis. If all of the licenses are in use,
and someone tried to open a drawing with AutoCad it will fail. I'd like to
make it so that when the user clicks on the filename, an Autocad viewer will
open.

I was thinking that a command button with some embedded code would do the
trick. The code would look at the cell and get the filename (which includes
the entire path to the drawing). Then the program would open it with the
drawing viewer.

However, I'm at a loss as to HOW to do this. Any help?

DGreco