Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Steve Steve is offline

Default number format?

Ok,
However, in my case, I won't be using fractional numbers for this-- at all.
Nor would I use e^, Pi, etc.....
All I'll be using will be 0 to 4 decimal place numbers.

So, what can I use for this?

Thank you for your quick response.

"joel" wrote:

You can't because some number like 1/3 will repeat and not stop at 2 or 3
decimal places.

"Steve" wrote:

Morning all.
I'm going through multiple worksheets, and trying to make sure that the
values that are in the cells are what's actually showing.
I.e., fo rthe most part I set my numeric format to show two decimal places.
If however there are 3 decimals in the number, I need to show that. Or, if
there are 4 decimal places, I'll need to show them.
It's getting rather tedious going through each and every worksheet and doing
this one row at a time, manually.

As such, I'd like to do this with a macro.
So, my question is:

What code would I use to check to see the amount of actual decimal places
there are in a given number, and then set the number format to show the
decimal places that actually exist, with never less than 2 decimal places?

At this point, what's rolling through my mind is:

If activecell.value = 3 decimal place number then
set activecell.format = format("0.000")

else if activecell.value = 4 decimal place number then
set activecell.format = format("0.0000)

else
activecell.value = 2 decimal place number
set activecell.format = (format("0.00")

How would I perform this task?