Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
John[_140_] John[_140_] is offline

Default MATCH and INDEX combination using multiple criteria?

I'm combining the INDEX function with the MATCH function to do a lookup, but
I have multiple criteria. (I can't use the DGET function because it requires
a two row criteria range, which won't work for my situation). Can multiple
criteria work with the MATCH and INDEX combo? Or is there a different way to
do what I want to do?:

A B C
1 Name Date Amount
2 Joe 1 20.00
3 Joe 3 30.00
4 Joe 7 15.00
5 Ian 1 12.00
6 Ian 3 5.00

If my criteria is Joe, 7, I'd like Excel (2007) to return 15.00. My one
criteria INDEX and MATCH formula looks like this:

=INDEX(A1:C6,MATCH("Joe",A:A,0),3)

But it returns 20.00, the first instance of Joe.
Thanks.