Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default finding and summing case-sensitive text

Jen,

I don't understand, does every thing score 1 as in you formula snippet? If
so why does case matter?

If everything does score 1 then try this array formula

=COUNT(IF(A1:A20={"A","B","B1"},1))

add more conditions to meet your requirements.

This is an array formula which must be entered with CTRL+Shift+Enter and NOT
'just enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets around
'the formula{}. You can't type these yourself. If you Edit the ranges
'then you must re-enter as An array

Mike

"Jen" wrote:

Hi all.

I need to create some formulas that count the number of a given,
case-sensitive letter within a long column. To be specific, I will need
formulas for finding the numbers of "a", "a1" (the 1 is coding for a
reversal), "A", "b", "B", "B1", etc. I wrote
(if(find("A",m1),1,0)+if(find("A",m2),1,0))+... but the FIND function, which
returns that pesky #VALUE! instead of a 0 for each cell in which the given
letter does not occur, messes up the summing process. Anyone have any
suggestions? Much obliged!
--
Jen