Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Charles Williams Charles Williams is offline

Default Need for speed - Beyond Excel VBA

Joel,

So far I have found very few cases where compiled VB6 runs any faster than
VBA: usually 99% of the time is being used in either the VB runtime (which
is the same) or in transferring data between VB and Excel (which is the
same) or in operations in Excel itself (such as Calculation of formulae
etc).

The only significant case I know of is using Automation addins for large
numbers of UDF calls in Automatic calc mode, which bypasses the VBA IDE
refresh slowdown bug.
Also in theory if you are doing very intense numeric calculations (for
example iteratively solving partial differential equations) then compiled
VB6 will be somewhat faster than VBA.

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"Joel" wrote in message
Turn screen updating off and try again. You can get the V6 visual basic
compilerCompiler and compile the code to gain speed.

"BR" wrote:

My spreadsheet has grown too big, and VBA takes too long to run stress
tests
on it !

Can I use Excel for deal presentation purposes only, run the algorithms
faster in another language and interface that to Excel, please suggest
directions

(My company doesn't have an IT desk, apologies if this is too basic a
query)

--
-----