slot guy

bj,
Thank you for the formula. I uesed the first one since I'm looking for
unique date with no repeats. Can you please tell me what the "--" does in the
function? Also, I don't understand how the column number is actualy returned
using the column function. The function description just states that "column"
returns the column number of a reference. It doesn't ask for any criteria to
use to pick from a reference. Can you explain?

"bj" wrote:

try
=sumproduct(--(range =max(range)),Column(range)

note if there can be several equal maxs this won't work.

in this case try
=match(max(range),range,0)+(column number at start of range)-1

"slot guy" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to have a formula return the column number from
a maximum value in a row. I've tried using =column(max(a1:c1)) to return the
column number but it errors out. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thanks