Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
scattered[_4_] scattered[_4_] is offline

Default Pseudocode software

On Feb 19, 6:48*pm, salgud wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:14:15 -0600, Dick Kusleika wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:34:30 -0800 (PST), scattered
wrote:

If you like the idea of something more formal, perhaps you could type
pseudocode in a code module (with syntax-checking temporarily turned
off) then comment out the pseudocode (which can be done instantly) and
use it as a guide to write the code immediately below. I could see how
that might be helpful even if it is a bit too formalized for my taste.
It would serve a documentation purpose by giving comments which
outline the algorithm to be implemented.

That's the way I do it. ( I have syntax checking turned off permanently..) *I
write the pseudo code as comments in the module (actually in the Sub End Sub
stub where the actual code will live) by typing the apostrophe first. *Then
I fill in the actual code, leaving the pseudo code there as a comment if
it's useful. *Most of it isn't useful - it's a great guide, but the end
result usually ends up different enough that the pseudocode would just be
misleading.

Thanks for your reply. I have syntax checking permanently off also - what a
PITA! Might try your method- I'm just feeling my way along and have felt
that I'm trying to do too much in one step by just sitting down and writing
code. When my VBA instructor suggested I break up the process by doing
pseudocode, then a flow diagram, then the code, it made sense to me. I'm
just now trying it out, and it seems to be flowing much better and I think
the total time start to finish will be less because there'll be less going
back and rework. That's been my experience with most everything else I've
learned to plan out first. Not a common approach in the Western world, but
every study I've ever seen validates it as faster and cheaper with better
results. So I'm guessing it'll work with writing VBA code too.- Hide quoted text -

You have a good attitude. I suspect that it will pay-off with programs
that require less debugging the first time around. You might enjoy the
book "Code Complete" by Steve McConnell. It is one of the few computer
books I've read cover to cover and wanted to read over again
afterwards. It contains a wealth of practical suggestions for writing
good software. See http://cc2e.com/ for reviews and a sample chapter.

hth

-scattered